Pleated skirts bring back memories of those mini pleated sports skirts, you know those ones they wrapped around with a zipper closure and a flat panel at the front in very bold colours that you wore with matching sports briefs.
My whole primary school I was desperate to own one – I thought they were the bees knees, all the cool kids owned them.
It took me to the seventh grade before I got my hands on one of those beauties and yes even through it was a icky British racing green and it was worn with a tight bright yellow school tee I thought I look super cute and flirty.
So I couldn’t resist pleated skirts when they came back in store – thankfully they were now a midi length and I wasn’t forced to wear one in school colours with matching briefs.
So far I have added three to my wardrobe – a champagne, plum and silver and I’m not sure I’ve finished adding to my collection.
The new skirts have a metallic edge which can be a bit difficult to style to stop them looking bit too teeny booper – I will be 50 next year and teeny booper is not a look I aspire to.
Here are a couple of tips for wearing a metallic pleated skirt
- Keep the top plain whether that be in colour or style.
- For a casual look a white tee, denim jacket and kicks is a great easy wear look.
- Add a leather jacket to toughen them up and save the look from being too girlie.
- If you are blessed in the boob department tuck or wear a wrap shirt – you need to cut down on the bulk and make sure you can see you waist. The pleats can tend to give extra volume so you need to counteract this.
- If you are smaller on top you can wear a relaxed knit that goes over the top of the skirt.
- Keeping the top simple means you can play with a statement heel or necklace to add some fun.
Below are a few of the ways I have already worn mine – next up will be the white tee, denim jacket and kicks.
White Haven Emporium Rapture Top in Black Crepe $64.95 * – I’ve added a tank underneath for a bit more coverage & Accordion Pleat Midi Skirt in Golden Mist $69.95 * – this quite small around the waist so I sized up | Witchery Leopard Print Heels – old
A couple of my picks of pleated skirts now in store:
Items marked with an * were gifted to me for editorial consideration.